Looking for Sustainability ideas

I thought I find a way to keep costs down while still trying to stay eco-friendly. Trying to keep striving for sustainability. This a record of that journey.

Sometimes blunt and straight forward then sometimes sarcastic

This frugal crunchy hipster single momma is doing what she can to save Mother Earth while not breaking the bank!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Local Heroes.

Image Detail

I find it very interesting that the "super foods" are foods that are usually shipped from foreign lands and cost more than the local stuff.  This is not helping the green energy movement for the energy that is used in shipping and flying the fruits and vegetables to different countries.  I mean have the time I forget what they are called let alone how to pronounce it... plus many of the items looked to much like the things I know and love.... that berry does look like a blueberry to me...

Having started to eat local produce and from farmers markets I wonder am I getting all that I can from my foods? We need that super fruit from a long distance island?  You know I am all for trying new foods but sometimes it seems like everything has to be the foreign not the homegrown!  What is wrong with the homegrown??  I started to research many of my favorite foods.  I found that indeed they are healthy and also help build healthy cells...   I thought gee my grandparents eat all these and why all of a sudden is our diet wrong?

The average  American diet is way off.  American eat (on a whole) too much sugar, fat and over processed foods.  I saw a site that had a piece on the Standard American Diet, and abbreviated the name to SAD.  Made me laugh, for a minute, but it is kinda true.  But if we do go back to the way (my) grandparents or even great grandparents ate we could live healthier.  I understand that many families are over worked and the drive threw makes things easier...  but at the cost of our families health we should try for a healthier way.  And I am not saying to give up the drive threw or the play ground lunch fun just not all the time.  I know too many parents rely on the happy kid  meals for more than once a day....

So yea the fruits that I love, raspberries,  blueberries and strawberries are antioxidants and healthy.  Any fruit that is bright in color is helpful.  Sugar but natural sugars. High in vitamins.  And so good!! 

That most vegetables are also helpful in aiding the body to fight disease.  The bright colored vegetables are full of powerful antioxidants that help the body fight free radicals. Not forgetting things like onions and garlic that are strong fighters for the diseases that attack our bodies.  Carrots are being praised for helping make good cholesterol and fighting bad cholesterol! Tomatoes also are our backyard champs... So salsa is something that can help fight the good fight... yummm 

So just Like Dr. Oz saying the bright colored fruits help fight cancers and are full of antioxidants. Basic foods like beans and grains are also helpful.  Full of fiber, minerals and vitamins.

You don't have to eat that food that you may never pronounce right or drink that drink you really don't like the bitter taste of.... You can just eat the stuff you know and are used to.  They are healthy for you too.  That way you can save your money for things you like or spurge on that one item you really like.  Eating real food that isn't prebaked,  frozen chemical laden over processed  open the box and pour meals.

I have fallen in love with my crock pot again!  ... I throw a ton of veggies and a piece of chicken. Turn on to low and go to work.  I come home to a wonderful smell and dinner is done.   Left over can be reheated quickly and frozen for work lunches....

ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

eco-friendly (77) sustainability (47) reuse (43) food (33) saving money (26) recycle (12) reduse (11) frugal (10) green (10) very cool (10) basics (9) crafts (9) natural remedies (9) cleaning products (7) home repair (6) free (5) upcycle (5) waste (4) BPA free (3) diet (3) dreaming (2)

Search This Blog