Looking for Sustainability ideas

I thought I find a way to keep costs down while still trying to stay eco-friendly. Trying to keep striving for sustainability. This a record of that journey.

Sometimes blunt and straight forward then sometimes sarcastic

This frugal crunchy hipster single momma is doing what she can to save Mother Earth while not breaking the bank!

Friday, December 4, 2009

Cinnamon Ornaments

1 part applesauce to 1 part cinnamon (more or less) a cup of each
Sprinkle of each:
ground cloves
ground allspice
nutmeg (one year I was out of one of these and added pumpkin spice!)
A tablespoon of school glue (I eye ball that measurement)

Mix it all together. It will from a ball. If it is too soft add more cinnamon or spices, too dry more applesauce.
Roll out on a board dusted with cinnamon to about a 1-4 inch thick. Cut with the cookie cutters of choice. Poke a hole with a pencil, straw or chop stick. Dry in warm place for 4 days or more depending on humidity and temperature. Turn then over every day. Hang with ribbon, yarn or string. I have dried them in my gas oven on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. I didn't turn on the oven just let the pilot light dry them out.

         We are going to make these for the little gifts for the people at Church.  With some sites buzzing about what is your favorite family tradition my daughter said this was her favorite one... So we decided that this would be a nice little gift! Plus cute package decorations...

ivy

4 comments:

  1. I've been making these and selling them in my cousin's country store. They are such big sellers that I decided to sell them on my blog. I've been making them for years.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the directions on how to make them! I've always loved them!

    I found you from MBC
    Heather
    http://ratherbechangingdiapers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thanks. Following you now from MBC!
    You can find me at www.lifehappensduringnaptime.com
    -M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just following from MBC! I'm actually going to make some of these with my boys later this week.:)

    ReplyDelete

Labels

eco-friendly (77) sustainability (47) reuse (43) food (33) saving money (26) recycle (12) reduse (11) frugal (10) green (10) very cool (10) basics (9) crafts (9) natural remedies (9) cleaning products (7) home repair (6) free (5) upcycle (5) waste (4) BPA free (3) diet (3) dreaming (2)

Search This Blog