Turn off lights when not using.
Change to LED lights
- generate very little heat.
- uses half the energy then CFL
- Last longer, sometimes up to 10 years
- they cost more however
- uses 75% less energy then regular bulbs
- last longer then regular bulbs
- Prices are coming down due to demand
Unplug unused appliances
- It's called vampire energy loss, some of your appliances still use energy if when turned off. Check out Berkeley Lab to see the energy they are sucking up in standby mode
Take shorter showers not bathes. Bathes use more water. Purchase a water saving shower head and save more. Most of the time they are reasonably priced and help you save money
Low flush toilets, use 1.6 gallons of water compared to 4 to 7 gallons! You can make it a lower flushing toilet by adding a milk jug filled with sand or rocks that is placed in the tank away from where the water comes in. But plumbers do not recommend this.......