Looking for Sustainability ideas

I thought I find a way to keep costs down while still trying to stay eco-friendly. Trying to keep striving for sustainability. This a record of that journey.

Sometimes blunt and straight forward then sometimes sarcastic

This frugal crunchy hipster single momma is doing what she can to save Mother Earth while not breaking the bank!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Power of Smells

Aromatherapy uses essential oils, herbs, plant leaves, roots or flowers and barks to help heal the body and the mind. In the society that places great emphasis on looking and smelling just right, our sense of smell can help heal ourselves. I walk down the isles of the store and see many people opening many packages to smell the product. Oww I like that one they say as they get a good whiff.
But many studies have shown that our sense of smell can also help heal us. Many flowery smells can help us relax, even have a good night sleep. Rose, lavender, jasmine and geranium help relax and calm us. Many of the woodsy oils can give us the sensual feelings.. Oils like sandalwood, patchouli, or ylang ylang. Citrus smells help wake us up! As well as the mint family.
Some smells can be something that only you have memories that can be powerful to that smell. When I was younger I used to go to my grandmother house and she had the biggest lilac tree by the window so when I smell lilac I remember lying in bed at my grandmother's house. My other grandmother wore rose water when she went to church so the faint smell of roses remind me of her. Just like everyone loves the smell of a new car right?

The strong smells of eucalyptus, wintergreen and citronella are healing. They help clear up sinusitis and can be insect repellents. Peppermint and wintergreen also help sore muscles.

Well I have been using a aromatherapy tea candle diffusers. I have been putting some lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus in this with water for the stuffy noses in the house. Poor old lady kitty the one we call Princess, she is the one that is stuffed up the most.... but she is doing good. We got her to eat some fish smelly food cause she wasn't eating to much. She can't smell it! But I can feel the congestion clearing in my sinus. It that change of weather allergy sinus infection time of year.

ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

eco-friendly (77) sustainability (47) reuse (43) food (33) saving money (26) recycle (12) reduse (11) frugal (10) green (10) very cool (10) basics (9) crafts (9) natural remedies (9) cleaning products (7) home repair (6) free (5) upcycle (5) waste (4) BPA free (3) diet (3) dreaming (2)

Search This Blog