Looking for Sustainability ideas

I thought I find a way to keep costs down while still trying to stay eco-friendly. Trying to keep striving for sustainability. This a record of that journey.

Sometimes blunt and straight forward then sometimes sarcastic

This frugal crunchy hipster single momma is doing what she can to save Mother Earth while not breaking the bank!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Wabi Sabi

What is Wabi Sabi?

Google the term and you will find many different ideals to the meaning.  Basically it is a Japanese way of life. It is not easy to translate. Finding so many different thoughts to the term! I love the quote from Wikipedia:


"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Lately I have been seeing Wabi Sabi in the finding love context. But I have looking for info  that states the meaning is to find beauty in imperfection.  A few sites are the monks tea party type, that are teaching the simple way of life.  Slow down and enjoy: ″wisdom in natural simplicity". Or for art the idea of beauty in natural flaws.  To the idea of living a simple zen life.

A zen life? Isn't that a song? Sounds like it doesn't it? But I hear that and thing yea that would be nice in this day and age living a zen life would be a welcome change...  Not having deadlines, snow storms, or fanatic calls from family and friends dealing with crisis. maybe I am zen, talking to the person to help them find the answer, or just to have a ear to say OMG that sucks... and having someone say I am sorry to hear you are having a crappy week...

Wabi Sabi Love... I have told the girls to not try to find Mr. Perfect or Mr. Right, find Mr. I can live with the flaws..... You can't change him just as he can't change you.  Find  We are ourselves together and we work.




“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be,” Lao-Tzu.





But I find the art to find beauty in imperfection.  Cracked vases are as beautiful as new.  That broken candle holder that I got from the Salvation Army store is beautiful even without the chain that the previous owner  might have hung it.  Even keeping the two links add more interest to the piece that sits on the end table I have been looking for something interesting to place there for months....

My favorite incense burner is a old sugar dish that I love the shape of but has a crack.  Even after the creamer broke I couldn't throw it away.  I turned the crack to the wall. I took a picture of it and the crack wasn't even noticeable on the picture! So it took a picture of my wizard.  Poor man was knocked over lost his point of his cap and got a couple chips of his base but I love this piece too much to throw away.

Or finding beauty in nature like the zen gardens. I love drift wood.  Don't know why.  Just do. It's beauty and the way the water made the marks maybe. I think there is power in the beauty of driftwood and have a few pieces in my house as decoration.  Plus of course plants are natural beauty to bring in the home, right now in the middle of winter my plants have died.  I not sure that buying more would be a good idea.  The shock of taking them into 20 degree weather would kill them anyway, so I will wait til spring........



Guess I am (was) wabi sabi before it was cool...



ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

eco-friendly (77) sustainability (47) reuse (43) food (33) saving money (26) recycle (12) reduse (11) frugal (10) green (10) very cool (10) basics (9) crafts (9) natural remedies (9) cleaning products (7) home repair (6) free (5) upcycle (5) waste (4) BPA free (3) diet (3) dreaming (2)

Search This Blog