Looking for Sustainability ideas

I thought I find a way to keep costs down while still trying to stay eco-friendly. Trying to keep striving for sustainability. This a record of that journey.

Sometimes blunt and straight forward then sometimes sarcastic

This frugal crunchy hipster single momma is doing what she can to save Mother Earth while not breaking the bank!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Eco-friendly cat litter


So we the cat owners (or should I say care givers?) that cat are very finicky creatures that hate change. If you change there food they may stop eating. Change where the litter box is well, they find a place they think it should be... SO the best thing to do is slowing start adding a new product to the old.

My problem is I find this great advice  at the Greenwala site but now I get to find an animal feed supply or farm/ranch store in my area.  I live in a urban area. SO I will blog about the ideas and maybe find a store where I can get the products and tell if they work.  Heck maybe just to add to the cat litter to help control cost for a while!




corn based cat litter..

simple corn scent - no added perfumes or chemicals
cats easily adjust to it
Clumps naturally
Absorbs odors natural
BUT
mold can grow from the moisture
GM crop....

Greenwala suggestion:
Chicken scratch (otherwise known as cracked corn).

Wheat based

earthy smell - with no chemical additives
Clumps naturally
Absorbs odors natural
Biodegradable, flushable and compostable
Uses natural enzymes for odor control
BUT
cats eat the litter
tracking through the house
hard to scoop
GM crop

No subs.........

Wood pellet
Woodsy smell
can be reused as mulch
Sold a the big box stores
BUT
some cats hate it.
Very heavy
pellet end up all over house (doesn't most litter??)

Greenwala suggestion:
natural wood fiber horse bedding

Well idea saved... too bad my grandfather isn't still around;  he would  have had either (both!) and let me have a little to experiment with...... No he would tell me, "Get out of the city girl!! Breathe some fresh air and get some dirt between your toes"......... Giggle..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

eco-friendly (77) sustainability (47) reuse (43) food (33) saving money (26) recycle (12) reduse (11) frugal (10) green (10) very cool (10) basics (9) crafts (9) natural remedies (9) cleaning products (7) home repair (6) free (5) upcycle (5) waste (4) BPA free (3) diet (3) dreaming (2)

Search This Blog