Looking for Sustainability ideas

I thought I find a way to keep costs down while still trying to stay eco-friendly. Trying to keep striving for sustainability. This a record of that journey.

Sometimes blunt and straight forward then sometimes sarcastic

This frugal crunchy hipster single momma is doing what she can to save Mother Earth while not breaking the bank!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I heard that!!

The other day while shopping after work I heard a young man tell the woman with him, "Oh no we can't get this.  It has high fructose corn syrup."  I was getting something close to them  not right next to them.  As the couple picked up a few more things the woman said, "Dang almost everything here has high fructose corn syrup!"  I had just started to walk by them when she said that. I smiled and replied "wait til you get to the salad dressing isle."   They smiled, shook their heads  and walked away..... 

Today at work at the warehouse club, I heard a older gentleman tell his wife, "Did you check for
high fructose corn syrup on the label?" He began to read the ingredient label looking for
high fructose corn syrup.  The older woman with him said "Gee honey if it isn't listed near the top it isn't in there." I laughed and told her, "You got that right!."   But the gentlemen reminded me that the fake sugar is sometimes at the bottom.  Oh yea that is true!  I should know that for all fake sugar stuff gives me migraines!

I think this is great that more and more people are understanding that  high fructose corn syrup
while yes might not be "all that bad for you, used in moderation" as their commercials tell us.  That reading labels and seeing what is in our food is a growing tread....  

Guess more people are hearing that  Princeton University released a  study that proved  the link between high fructose corn syrup and obesity.

I keep telling Tech that.  I tell him to let Miss Animal Rights cook for him.  He has lost weight! Not much  but he did lose some weight. 

Miss Animal Rights and I are tiny women.  AND we have lost inches on our waist lines from cutting out most of the high fructose corn syrup and making many things from scratch.  So ketchup is one of the things we have that still has  high fructose corn syrup.  We got a huge bottle and still have it.  We really don't eat too many things that need ketchup!  Wow my little girl has grown up! LOL. She use to have to have ketchup with many things when she was little.

I know that there is ketchup  out there that is high fructose corn syrup free but I will buy it next time I need it.  But that huge bottle is still over half full.... guess it might be a while before that happens.

Now I have to get rid of my soda addiction.  It is kinds crazy.  I open a can.  Drink half then tell myself this isn't good for you, pour it down the drain  and recycle the can.   Plus it is something I can get in the machines at work.

ivy

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could get better about checking labels. I am really trying to cut Coke out of my diet too. I am not doing so good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have cut it in our house as well. I can only hope the trend to avoid it takes off like wild fire!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

eco-friendly (77) sustainability (47) reuse (43) food (33) saving money (26) recycle (12) reduse (11) frugal (10) green (10) very cool (10) basics (9) crafts (9) natural remedies (9) cleaning products (7) home repair (6) free (5) upcycle (5) waste (4) BPA free (3) diet (3) dreaming (2)

Search This Blog