Looking for Sustainability ideas

I thought I find a way to keep costs down while still trying to stay eco-friendly. Trying to keep striving for sustainability. This a record of that journey.

Sometimes blunt and straight forward then sometimes sarcastic

This frugal crunchy hipster single momma is doing what she can to save Mother Earth while not breaking the bank!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Shampoos

The best green shampoo......Liquid Castille Soap! Wrong... it breaks me out... I have very sensitive skin that includes my scalp! So most homemade shampoos use this ingredient..And most green health food store brands shampoo use chamomile... Chamomile is part of the Asteraceae plant family, which includes ragweed and chrysanthemum, If you have  allergies, chamomile  may cause some reaction.... If I use chamomile on my face or hair.... My eyes swell up and I can't breathe..... fun times trying to find a herbal shampoo!  I was using a unscented shampoo but then it stopped working.  So really they say that the shampoo doesn't stop working your needs -your hair needs change.... but hey I have to switch...  Found one that I missed the chamomile.... it was like smack in the middle... I read right over it... and I learned even a little amount... judging by the fact it wasn't one the first key ingredients... I will not be able to breathe normally..and look like I cried for days.. grrr....

So many health food store shampoo have chamomile and or are over $10 a bottle.... too rich for my budget.  The grocery isle of healthy organic shampoos are the same thing....

When I first started to use the organic shampoos I would have to wash my hair every day or my hair would look so greasy. Now I wash my hair every couple of days and looks fuller.  Well that before trying to find my shampoo.... there are some that dry out my hair (ok I saved it for summer, for those sweaty summer days..Worked great them!!) Then the ones that made my hair look even more greasy...  

I tried the no poo -hummm I couldn't do it.  I know there is a adjusting period but I couldn't do it...my hair was too greasy. It made my head itch. I "washed" with conditioner, that too made my hair look too greasy and flat.  Then I try to make my own... yea the liquid castille soap allergy was uncovered after my first homemade herbal shampoo...  green tea shampoo..... I had bumps that inched and hurt! So no more Castille soap, I did try straight castille soap on my body and got the same rash... and it really hurts!! 

So my last recipe.... thing is I found this from a baby shampoo recipe and a regular shampoo recipe with milk so I thought I make a hybrid of the two.....


 Milk Shampoo
  • 1/4 cup Non-Fat Dry Milk
  • 1/4 cup Whole Milk
  • 1 tablespoon Corn Starch
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
Combine ingredients in a clean container.;It makes a thick paste.  Use just as you would a mask for your hair.I left on for about 5 minutes.  I used it on my face and my windburned arms....... nice and soft soothing...
I did rinse for longer then normal  just cause I don't want to smell like spoiled milk later...
The only problem is I found was my hair was a little snarly.  So I did use some coconut oil that I use on my hands.  I rub my hands with a small amount, you only need a very small amount; and then I  ran them over the ends of my hair.  My scalp I very lightly ran my hands over the hair... and soon my comb was going threw my hair without a problem.... You can use your hair conditioner or hand cream like that too...

Guess we will see how this plays out...........


 ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

eco-friendly (77) sustainability (47) reuse (43) food (33) saving money (26) recycle (12) reduse (11) frugal (10) green (10) very cool (10) basics (9) crafts (9) natural remedies (9) cleaning products (7) home repair (6) free (5) upcycle (5) waste (4) BPA free (3) diet (3) dreaming (2)

Search This Blog