Looking for Sustainability ideas

I thought I find a way to keep costs down while still trying to stay eco-friendly. Trying to keep striving for sustainability. This a record of that journey.

Sometimes blunt and straight forward then sometimes sarcastic

This frugal crunchy hipster single momma is doing what she can to save Mother Earth while not breaking the bank!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Eat Local tool from NRDC

I found a great tool that I put on this blog from NRDC, The Natural Resources Defense Council. You can find out what produce is in season and usually is at a better deal at the stores. I wanted to keep it and what better place then this blog...... Granted my area doesn't have to many things in season due to the foot of snow with more lake effect snow expected all week, but still will come in handy when I go to the farmers market!


I also put it half way down on my blog for ease of use.

The site also has what they can the frequent fliers the produce that really has a long trip to get to our table. This equals more green house gas and a bigger carbon footprint. Some items you want to grow yourself or buy from your local farmers market. Oh if my raspberry bush takes off like it did last year I will be doing good for this spring... My tomates didn't do that good but then I get many from friends and family for the girls eat them like apples. Plus I cook them up and make sauce.

Frequent Fliers

  •  Asparagus (Peru)
  • Bell peppers (Netherlands)
  • Tomatoes (Netherlands)
  • Blackberries (Chile)
  • Blueberries (Argentina)
  • Cherries (Chile)
  • Raspberries (Chile)
  • Peaches (Chile)
  • Nectarines (Chile)
  • Papayas (Brazil)


ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

eco-friendly (77) sustainability (47) reuse (43) food (33) saving money (26) recycle (12) reduse (11) frugal (10) green (10) very cool (10) basics (9) crafts (9) natural remedies (9) cleaning products (7) home repair (6) free (5) upcycle (5) waste (4) BPA free (3) diet (3) dreaming (2)

Search This Blog