Looking for Sustainability ideas

I thought I find a way to keep costs down while still trying to stay eco-friendly. Trying to keep striving for sustainability. This a record of that journey.

Sometimes blunt and straight forward then sometimes sarcastic

This frugal crunchy hipster single momma is doing what she can to save Mother Earth while not breaking the bank!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dryer lint

Ok a confusion I use my dryer. Yes here in northeaster Ohio I use my dryer to dry my clothes.  I do however remove many things that are still a little damp when the rest is dry and hang on my bulky hanger to finish drying.   So seeing how the backyard has a ton of snow in it I really haven't taken my dryer lint to the compost pile.  My food scraps are feeding the strays in the neighborhood, I swear after putting them in the flower garden area in front of the house.

I found some ideas to use my dryer lint that I thought I should share here.  Use for a cheap mulch, but don't place near the base of the plant.  Ok I still have some mulch from last year..... use as a cheap fiber fill for stuffed projects.  I might do that if I decide to make something.  Of course to place outside for the birds to make a nice warm nest.  But most of the time they by pass that for the dogs hair... Really I have seen them check it out the lint  then find my dogs hair and grab it like it was gold!  I like to brush him outside - cut down on the hair in my house.... then began doing it more after seeing the birds taking it so fast.
Fire starter... been there did that! It does catch very quickly. 

My favorite idea was Dryer Lint Clay!  From Thrifty Fun 

Dryer Lint Clay

Ingredients

Here's recipes for making clay out of dryer lint.
  • 1 1/2 cups lint from the dryer
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 drops wintergreen mint flavoring
  • Old newspaper
  • Paint

Directions

Place the lint in a saucepan and cover it with the water. When the lint is saturated, add the flour and stir until it is smooth. Add the drops of wintergreen oil flavoring. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it forms peaks and holds together. Pour it onto newspaper to cool. Shape and model figures, or cover a form with it, such as a balloon. Allow to dry for 3 to 5 days, then paint and decorate as required.

ivy

2 comments:

  1. I have also heard about people making paper out of lint. And yes I think Dog Hair is like GOLD to the birds. We have a Husky so I def. brush him outside, by the time we are done there are a few birds sitting on the fence waiting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting ideas... I keep putting mine in the compost bin, along with my food scraps, even though it's winter and they're (off and on) covered with snow. I figure they'll compost eventually...

    ReplyDelete

Labels

eco-friendly (77) sustainability (47) reuse (43) food (33) saving money (26) recycle (12) reduse (11) frugal (10) green (10) very cool (10) basics (9) crafts (9) natural remedies (9) cleaning products (7) home repair (6) free (5) upcycle (5) waste (4) BPA free (3) diet (3) dreaming (2)

Search This Blog